Tucson CARES (Companion Animal Rescue Education and Support) is a truly unique, ‘small but mighty’ all volunteer run non-profit organization. We are dedicated to ‘saving the savable’ through direct action and advocacy. Tucson CARES goes beyond rescue and adoption into other elements of the No Kill Model of which we are passionate advocates. Tucson CARES is especially known for our field work in the community.
We shelter nearly 60 precious cats and a handful of beloved dogs at any given time and provide support for countless others through our work in the community and in partnership with other non-profit organizations and institutions.
Tucson CARES has and continues to be instrumental in improving and elevating the care of companion animals and Community Cats. Some accomplishments include:
- Directly impacting the live release of the Pima Animal Care Center through rescue, advocacy, networking and hands on hard work
- Advocating, fundraising for, installing and helping to provide ongoing maintenance of 5 free roaming Cat Enclosures for adoptable cats at the Pima Animal Care Center
- Helping to make the Humane Society of Southern Arizona’s feral cat program be no cost to the public and to include the use of Convenia, a long lasting injectable antibiotic
- Organizing the largest to date Community Cat ‘Trap Neuter Return’ project in Southern Arizona of which 82 cats were altered in one small area within two days
- Managing and providing the largest amount of humane traps for the purposes of Trap Neuter Return through several devoted depots which educate and advocate best practices on all things related to Community Cats.